Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Spring Cyclocross


Here is my pit crew for the race - he was asleep on the job for most of the day.

Yes, the unthinkable has happened, they are trying to make cyclocross a year round sport - well at least a few crazies in Shelby County Kentucky are trying to do that.

Last Saturday, Kate, Sam, and I drove over to Shelbyville, KY so I could do the "There will be Mud" summer cyclocross race (though there really wasn't any mud on the course). This was a fun, low key race at a county park, it reminded a lot of what cross races were like back when I first started racing cross nearly a decade ago now.

The course had one large hill on it that we both climbed then raced down, along with a triple barrier around a corner, and run up - along with lots of twists and turns. I got lucky and had a front row position, so I took the hole shot quickly (at least if I remember correctly), but was not leading for very long as a couple of other racers got by me on the long down hill. After that I moved between 3rd place and 5th place for the rest of the race. ending up in 5th, which honestly I was quite happy with.

The funny thing was that Sam had fallen asleep in the car just as we got to the park and ended up sleeping most of my race, but we had fun playing at the park afterwards and then drove through Shelbyville before stopping at a Dairy Queen for ice cream.

No comments: