Friday, October 19, 2007

Rider on the Storm - or Why to check the weather

Lesson #1 – You have got to ride when you get the chance – It really is starting to look and feel like Fall in the Ohio valley, and of course that means that the days are getting shorter and shorter. Unfortunately, that also means that it is getting harder and harder to be able to fit rides in after work. The last couple of days I have felt that I did not get a lot of time to ride and so I was kind of chomping at the bit to get out for a ride yesterday.

Kate was working late and so as soon as I got home I decided to put the dogs in the backyard and head out for a ride, leaving Kate a note. It had rained earlier in the day, but it was dry by the late afternoon. This leads to lesson #2.

Lesson #2 – Check the weather report before heading out – I had looked at the weather earlier in the afternoon, and while there were calls for strong storms later, there was no mention of any concerns for the area for the early evening. And I was not going for a long ride, just up to Sellersburg, around a little loop, and home, probably about 22 miles.
I did notice a bank of dark clouds off to the west as I was heading out of town, but since they did not look particularly threatening I decided to keep riding.

I had a fine ride, though the wind was a little gusty at time, and got back home only to find Kate worried about me because it turns out that there was a tornado watch for the area. Oops, guess it was not the brightest thing to head for a ride just then, so let that be a lesson, check the weather first.

2 comments:

Utica Town Folk said...

You could have ended up in Oz. The wicked witch of the West would have had nothing on you in your tight spandex!

Anonymous said...

I just wish they had earthquake forecasts as well as weather forecasts. That's what's going to do ME in someday.