Saturday, August 23, 2008

Lake Michigan

The last day trip we took up was to go to Lake Michigan for the afternoon a couple of days before we left. We went to Otter Creek, which is in the Sleeping Bear National Lakeshore, and spent a couple of hours there just hanging out. Only my Mom and I went swimming as the water was pretty cold, and once again, I was reminder of the fact that I am probably the worlds worst swimmer (I have a feeling that if anyone was watching me from shore when I attempted to swim it probably looked more like drowning due to the way I flay around). Anyway, we went for a walk up the beach and discovered the elusive Michigan black sand, just like they have in Hawaii, only not as plentiful. The sand actually has hemotite (some sort of iron deposit), and that is what makes it black. It is a lot heavier than regular sand and we found that it was pretty cool to through clumps of it into the surf to watch it break up.

Posted by Picasa

No comments: