Saturday, January 17, 2009

Deem Lake

Today it was a balmy 30 degrees, as compared to the single digit weather that the Ohio Valley had the previous couple of days, but the wind was gusting between 10 and 20 miles an hour, so I decided to ride out at Deem Lake rather than try and tackle a road ride.

Fortunately, I had much better luck today that my last ride out here, as my pedal did not come loose today. I met one of my old teammates in the parking lot and we headed off on the fire roads for about 2 hour ride.

This area must have been hit hard by the remants of Hurricane Ike back in September because there were lots of trees down in the forest. The fire roads that we were riding on follow the ridges of the hills in this area and so we were at the highest points for most of the knobs, and thus the areas that got hit the hardest by the hurricane. There were several trees that we passed that had literally been ripped out of the rock that they were growing in, by the wind. It is something that I have never seen before, unfortunately I did not have my cell phone with me to take some pictures of it. Instead these pictures just come from after the ride, one of a back water of Deem Lake and the other of one of the local fire roads.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Anita said...

A hurricane? In Indiana? Luke, are you sure?