Thursday, January 15, 2009

Little Treasures



It is sometimes amazing the places that you can pass by and not even know they are there until you really stop and look at them. I found one of those places today, on a stretch of 14 Mile Creek, which is a few miles outside of Charlestown.

There are days that I like to get away from work for awhile and go exploring (even though I know most of the roads in the area from riding), and today was one of those days. It also happened to be a beautiful, though cold and sunny day, which certainly helped.

I was driving along and was actually thinking about stopping to take some pictures of a spot further up the road where it crosses the creek, but then just glanced over and realized that the road was running right along the edge of the river, and figured that I would stop to take a look. I got out, crossed the road, hopped over the safety barrier, and made my way down to the rock ledge, only to realize that I was almost 100 feet above the water.

The sight that I found is one of the coolest I have seen in Indiana, as the creek makes a wide bend, with one side high up and the other forming a flood plan. With the weather we have been having, there is nice edge of ice on the river. My only disappointment is that there was an amazing bowl just to the left of where I was standing that I tried to get a photo of, but my camera phone just didn't take a good enough picture of it.


Posted by Picasa

No comments: