Thursday, February 4, 2010

The first photo here isn't bike related, but I thought that all who appreciate the classic design of lugged bicycles could see the beauty of this camera & lens design. The camera I bought used last fall. It's an old Nikon F3, the last of the old school Nikon SLR designs. Purists objected to the red vertical line (that has since become a Nikon trademark) but I think this camera is just about perfect as is, a Platonic ideal of camera design. The lens I bought yesterday. Carl Zeiss 35mm f2. All metal construction (read: heavy!) and a thing of beauty. Materialism as overconsumption is certainly problematic; materialism as appreciation for the material qualities of a thing itself leads to a lifetime of use and care. I'm looking forward to many years of photography with this lens. That's a Lug Bros. virtue I would say.

The second picture speaks for itself. A friendly man with a cool bike. We talked for a while and he told me about how he got the frame directly from a retired Keirin racer. Good stuff. He says hi to all in Lug Bros. Land!